WestBow Press

Steveo's books

Blink
Outliers: The Story of Success
Buyology: Truth and Lies About Why We Buy and the New Science of Desire
The Shack
The Ragamuffin Gospel: Good News for the Bedraggled, Beat-Up, and Burnt Out
The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth am I Here for?
The Prayer of Jabez:  Breaking Through to the Blessed Life
My Utmost for His Highest: Traditional Updated Edition
Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality
The Five Love Languages: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate
90 Minutes in Heaven
Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God
A Wrinkle in Time
The Six Sigma Way
A Million Miles in a Thousand Years: What I Learned While Editing My Life
The Hole in Our Gospel: What does God expect of Us?  The Answer that Changed my Life and Might Just Change the World
The Hunger Games
Mere Christianity
Cash: The Autobiography
Catching Fire


Steveo's favorite books »
}

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Book Review - This Is Your Brain in Love

This book is an easy and fun read. The tests for each type of love are short and easy. You get great information along with great practical application. The applications are not a quick fix but it appears using them over time will greatly help any marriage. One of the best things I learned from this book is how the Jewish culture views marriage and sex. It will open your eyes up to the fact that sometimes your culture does not have it right.

There are many stories of marriage life from his counseling sessions. These real life examples help you recognize the love type of you and your spouse. From just reading the stories, I could almost pinpoint what love type I was and my wife was.

The one negative thing about the book was a feeling of it being an advertisement. This is scattered throughout the book so it became a bit of a distraction. I am all for giving credit where credit is due for an idea or concept but I feel it was a little too much. If you can get by this one distraction the book has great potential to change your marriage for the better.

This Is Your Brain in Love
Dr Earl Heslin
Thomas Nelson Publishers
ISBN 780785228752



Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Steve ( sorry for the delete forgot to preview first!)
    Thank you for your great review of " This is Your Brain in Love".One of the great insights that God gave me as I have worked on the theme of spirituality and sexuality in scripture is this...when you are looking at a passage of scripture that has to do with marriage research what is a Jewish view on sexuality, marriage, etc. It brings a new depth to that passage.

    Send me an email at drearlh@gmail.com and give me some examples of what you mean about it being an advertisement. I probably do go over board on giving credit to what I have learned by working with Dr. Amen these past 14 years...if that is what you mean that is helpful to know.

    Thank you again for your support of this book. I do believe it will help many of God's hurting children!!

    Dr. Earl R Henslin
    1-16-2010

    ReplyDelete